Sunday Services at St Ebbe’s
We want everyone to have the opportunity to ‘gather’ whether physically or online, so, as well as physical meetings, we will provide a livestream of the service on our YouTube channel. We’re following the principles laid out by the PCC for how we will plan throughout the covid pandemic:
- Authority (following Government and Church of England guidelines)
- Meeting together where possible
- Caring for the weak
- Depending on God in prayer
We have made the church building ‘COVID safe’ in line with government regulations. Below are details of how we’ll organise meetings safely. We’ll need to bear with one another, as some will be more cautious and others more relaxed in our approach. If you would like to join us on a Sunday or midweek please read the steps outlined below, including how to register to attend the service.
Before the service
● Please don’t attend an event at St Ebbe’s if you have any Covid symptoms (a persistent cough, a temperature, a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell) or if you need to self-isolate.
● Please sign up through the website ‘What’s On’ page. Click on the event or service you want to book in for and submit your details.
● Please bring your own Bible. All the words will also be displayed on screen. Service sheets for the 9:45am Service are available here.
● Please arrive 10-15 minutes before the service and queue at the new North East door (by St Ebbe’s Street), observing social distancing.
● For the 9:45am service, if you have children in Trekkers, Explorers or Pathfinders, please help them to sign into their group before the service (from 9:30am).
● Please use a face covering before you enter the building (unless you are exempt).
● As you enter, please say your name clearly so you can sign in. As you enter the lobby, please use hand sanitiser. A one way system will be in place.
● Please take your seats promptly as directed by the stewards and once seated please do not move around the building. Please leave three chairs between households downstairs. In the gallery, please sit 2m from other people, and not directly behind or infront of someone.
During the service
● Sadly there will be no singing allowed so during songs, but do engage in the words and sing silently in your heart.
After the service
● Please exit the building at the end of the service using the doors indicated by the on-screen notice.
● Once you leave the building please continue to follow government social distancing advice. Please be very careful not to stand in Pennyfarthing Place and alongside the north wall of church so as not to block those walking to and from the Westgate Centre. Please allow plenty of space for them to pass at a social distance.
St Ebbe’s PCC Principles for Planning during Covid
‘be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit’ (Ephesians 4:2-3)
As we plan to begin meeting together again, we will have a range of views about how quickly to ‘return to normal’. We want to seek to remain unified, bearing with one another, aware of other’s needs and situations, glorifying God through this time of transition.
‘be subject to the governing authorities’ (Romans 13:1)
We will follow Government and Church of England guidelines as we plan.
‘not giving up meeting together’ (Hebrews 10:25), ‘do this in remembrance of me’ (Luke 22:19)
After a long forced break, we want to gather together again. We want to be able to share the Lord’s Supper again.
4. Care for the weak
‘help the weak, be patient with everyone.’ (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
Some may need to shield or won’t feel safe about meeting large groups. We need to consider and provide for those who will find meetings impossible or difficult. We need to be aware of the limits of staff and volunteer time and capacity in delivering plans.
‘Our Father in Heaven’ (Matthew 6:9)We need God’s wisdom and strength as we plan and begin meeting. We need to pray.